Thursday, November 1, 2007

We are the Pipettes


Finally, finally, finally, I got my dirty little hands on this awesome album. It came out over a year ago in England, but was intouchable for under $25 in the U.S.. I first heard them back in the winter of '05-'06 on a couple of comps and singles. These gals had me smitten from the first note, and so I'm thrilled to finally own these tunes.
The Pipettes are like a '60's doo-wop girl-group crossed with post-indie rock equals awesome. Probably not for everyone, but good enough for me.

Side note: I think Be Kind, Rewind is going to be an awesome movie, but here's the thing that screws with my head: When they insert awesome music into previews, I'm sold. The song could not even show up in the actually flick, I'm going, and I'm going to go in with great expectations. Sometimes it works out: "Mr Blue Sky" in Eternal Sunshine, and now in Be Kind, Rewind (Jack Black- not too shabby, not brilliant, Mos Def- Phenomenal, one of my favorite famous people evah) they are spinning Billy Preston's "Nothing from Nothing", which is a divine song from one of the most criminally underrated artists of all time.

No comments: